Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gone in a Flash


Over the last couple of years, along with my other poetry and short fiction, I have also been experimenting with a sort of visual poetry. I use images taken primarily from magazine and newspaper advertisements and make very small collages, usually on little 3 x 5 cards, that (hopefully) examine the way marketing uses visuals and words to push and pull at our emotions more often than they appeal to our intellect. With collages like this one I hope to, in some small way, expose and even subvert the power of the advertising image while creating something nifty I can mail to someone I've never actually met in person. (I'm a firm believer in the "postal-art" movement as popularized by weirdos like Ray Johnson.)


You can tell me if you think it's successful or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment